Grant Professional - Lead Writer
DH Leonard Consulting is seeking an experienced grant writer to join our team of grant writing professionals!
The Lead Writer reports to the President and collaborates with the Writing Team Product Owner and our Writing Team to create competitive grant applications and materials for our clients. The Lead Writer is a cross-functional role that provides support to multiple clients by researching funding opportunities, creating compelling grant proposals and reports, coordinating application materials and budgets, and supporting other activities to increase grant writing capacity.
You would be great for this role if you’re passionate about creating powerful narratives on a variety of topics, excel in a fast paced and highly collaborative environment, and thrive in an environment of open communication and mutual respect.
This is a full time, remote staff / employee position.
About DH Leonard Consulting
DH Leonard Consulting & Grant Writing Services assists nonprofit organizations with competitively applying, receiving, and managing grant funding to have a significant impact in their communities. Our team has secured over $121 million in grant awards for our clients and looks forward to building our internal capacity to further support organizations doing impactful work!
An Agile approach and the Scrum Framework is at the core of our organization’s approach to not letting grants stress our clients or our team out. Using an Agile approach, our Writing Team breaks down the grant writing process into bite-size iterations that allow us to work faster, release draft work for client input throughout the process regularly, and communicate openly and often, creating a client-centered environment. This approach enables us to adapt to the ever-changing grant-seeking landscape and implement changes quickly, while simultaneously focusing on continuous improvement.
We are a highly collaborative team of remote staff and consultants. We are always looking for new team members who are passionate about helping nonprofits create change in their communities, working in a team environment, and using their writing skills to create community impact. Find out more about how we collaborate and work as a team!
- Collaborate with the Writing Team Product Owner in the facilitation of the client projects
- Write grant proposals following DH Leonard Consulting team processes and standards
- Coordinate required attachments for client applications
- Coordinate budget attachments for client applications
- Coordinate mock review processes for clients
- Research grant funding opportunities for clients
- Assist with maintaining client application records and team information
- Communicate with clients and fellow team members following DH Leonard Consulting standards
- Adhere to all ethical standards of the Grant Professionals Association
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Experience and Skills
- 3 or more years experience in grant writing-related work
- Experience with government grants, whether local, regional, state, or federal strongly preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently on an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Ability to research and analyze information
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent computer and technical skills; ability to work across platforms and to learn new technology quickly; especially skills in Google Suite and Microsoft Teams.
- A commitment to the work of DH Leonard Consulting & Grant Writing Services and readiness to grow and learn with the DH Leonard Consulting & Grant Writing Services, LLC team.
- Ability to work within a remote team / organization
Nice to Haves
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Grant Professional Certified or desire to be a Grant Professional Certified
- Experience working in an Agile team and/or familiarity with Scrum Framework
- Experience with virtual collaboration and asynchronous communication tools such as Slack, ClickUp, Asana, Mural/Miro
- Familiarity with grant search / directory platforms
- Ability and/or experience facilitating conversations
- Experience delivering grant writing trainings
Compensation, Benefits, and Location
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $50,000-$60,000 (depending on experience level) plus benefits.
We invest in the professional growth and personal care of our people through the following benefits:
- Monthly health reimbursement plan
- 401k match
- Generous PTO
- Yearly Dependent Care stipend
- Professional Development opportunities
- Schedule and work site flexibility to accommodate your life, including families, continuing education, and community leadership.
- Wellness benefits such as meditation sessions and ergonomic materials.
See here for more details on how we support our team.
This is a remote position, with a preference for individuals in New York, Colorado, Nevada, Pennsylvania, or Washington. We are open to considering other locations for the right candidate.
Should you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
DH Leonard Consulting & Grant Writing Services, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, strongly committed to building a staff that represents the diversity of communities we support. We strongly encourage applications from black, indigenous, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and veterans.